Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Arts

Thanksgiving, 2005


(11/25/05)



To be given just enough


Surely is the greatest gift.


Yet how I’ve carped, complained, and cried,


Feeling my just share denied!


Sour resentment poisoned thought;


Envy and desire did naught


But conceal from me this truth:


I am given just enough.



Humble shelter, simple food,


Form not beautiful but good;


Pain enough to mortify,


Mindfulness that I’m to die;


Work for sustenance, not wealth,


Lest matter overshadow health;


Solitude, my natural state,


Scant society abates;


Love not passionate, but kind


Leaves me room to know my mind.



Just enough to soul sustain


Might free the spirit and the brain;


Keep one restless, yet at peace;


True abundance is just this.


Softly I’ll draw breath and sing


To see life in strict balance swing.



- Submitted by Emily Murphey


No comments:

Post a Comment